Requests for repeats prescriptions will be dealt with within 48 hours. This can be in-person or by sending your repeat request by post, e-mail or via online access; not via the telephone.
Due to the increasing numbers of patients requesting their prescription on an urgent basis, the practice has needed to instate an ‘Urgent prescription policy’. Unless a medication is urgent to prevent immediate harm, all prescriptions will be requested routinely.
The following medication will be issued on an urgent basis due to the clinical nature of them-
- Warfarin, Apixaban and other anticoagulants
- Insulin, gliclazide and glucogel
- Epilepsy mediation (Tegretol, carbamazepine, gabapentin, pregabalin, lamotrigine, leviceteram, phenytoin, topiramate, sodium valproate, epilim)
- Ventolin inhalers and Montelukast ,
- Prednisolone and Dexamethasone
- Adrenaline pens for anaphylaxis (epi-pen, JEXT)
- Digoxin, beta blocker (only if for heart problems)
- Glyceryl Trinitrate spray, Isosorbide Mononitrate
- Medication for terminal palliative care patients.
Requests for morphine and methadone (or physeptone) should be directed to the duty doctor to make a decision whether the script is urgent, or if it can wait for the registered GP the following day.
Requests for urgent prescriptions will be ready to be collected by 4pm the same day.
From 25/11/2015 we will be going live with electronic prescriptions. Please ask at the surgery for your more information.